Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Cream Filbert Cookies



Several weeks ago, I noticed a badge on someone's blog advertising The Great Food Bloggers Cookie Swap.  Now, I LOVE to bake, and even more, I love to eat cookies...any cookies, any shape, any form!  So, of course, I wanted in on this swap.  

What truly amazed me, though, was the fact that in order to join this swap, you paid a fee, and 100% of that fee was donated to Cookies for Kids Cancer Research.  In return, we baked one dozen cookies for each of three food bloggers, and received one dozen cookies from each of three food bloggers.  We also received the cutest little cookie spatula from Oxo with the words "Be a Good Cookie" printed on it.

I baked Cream Filbert Cookies, a vintage butter cookie with a filbert/hazelnut baked in the center (yes, they are the same thing), then dipped in a glaze and then into colored sugar.  These cookies were my Grandmother's favorite cookie, and I bake them every year in her honor. 

I sent cookies to: 
Nicole at http://Lapetitebaker.com
Stephanie at http://www.stephsbitebybite.com
and Vijay at http://www.noshon.it

I received the most amazing cookies from 

This was such a wonderful experience for me, and I cannot wait to participate next year!

Cream Filbert Cookies

1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup butter
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg
2-1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla
2-3 oz. filberts/hazelnuts
Glaze (below)
Colored Sugar

Heat oven to 375ºF. Cream shortening, butter and sugar.  Add egg.  Measure flour and stir dry ingredients together.  Blend into creamed mixture.  Add vanilla.  Roll in balls (using level tsp. dough per ball) and press a filbert into the center.  Shape so dough covers nut.  Place on ungreased baking sheet about 2" apart.  Bake 12-15 minutes, until delicately browned.  Cool.  Holding cookie at bottom, dip entire top in Glaze.  Roll in colored sugar.  Makes 7 -8 dozen cookies.
Glaze: Mix 2 cups sifted confectioners' sugar, 3 tbsp. water, and 2 tsp. vanilla.  Stir til smooth.


1 comment:

  1. I love your site. Please add a 'follow' button so I and others can keep up with you.
    Martha

    ReplyDelete